On the eve of its 175th anniversary, Jaeger-LeCoultre continues to extend within its natural environment
Jaeger-LeCoultre, a key economic player in the Vallée de Joux, is announcing the largest extension in its history. The site of the Manufacture, currently spread over 16,000 square metres, will be enlarged by a further 9000 square metres by the year 2010. Loyal to its historical roots within an exceptional natural setting nestling between lake and forests on the outskirts of Le Sentier, the watch Manufacture has chosen to pursue its development within the brand’s historical cradle, to which the new building will be linked by astutely designed architectural elements.
This extension project, necessitated by the brand’s strong growth, is part of a far broader programme that underscores Jaeger-LeCoultre’s natural integration within its geographic and social environment for almost 175 years. Innovative technical solutions aimed at preserving the quality of life in the Vallée de Joux.
Since its creation, Jaeger-LeCoultre has been a driving force and a vital stimulus to the economic growth of this region with its unspoilt scenery, located near the Joux Lake perched at an altitude of 100 metres at the heart of the Jura mountains. The original workshop set up by Antoine LeCoultre laid the foundations of a brand that has earned international acclaim for its cutting-edge achievements and its avant-garde watchmaking philosophy. Since its founding in 1833, a series of indispensable extensions have been added every two or three decades: 1866, 1888, 1912, 1846, 1972 and 1996. The brand’s ongoing success now calls for an acceleration in this pace and, just eleven years after the previous phase, the largest extension in its history is currently in progress. With its 1000-strong workforce, its status as a major employer in a region characterised by a distinctive economic fabric and a low-density population calls for the company to devote special attention to its social and environmental responsibilities.