MUNICHTIME NEWSStrasser & Rohde Regulator - A tribute to watchmaking excellence
In watchmaking tradition, “regulator” watches were special pendulum clocks, used by watchmakers in their workshops to set the exact time and therefore to test the precision of smaller watches. They were also used in science whenever extremely precise time indicators were needed, like in the field of astronomy.
In order to achieve optimum readability of the time, the hands were positioned on different axes of the dial. As the sole central hand, the minute hand dominated. The other hands were smaller and located in decentralized sub-dial areas. Every watchmaker’s workshop always contained a regulator in a clearly visible position as a time reference. In this context, the preeminent watchmaking company of Strasser and Rohde, founded in 1875 and located in Glashütte, achieved worldwide fame for its accurate and particularly aesthetic precision pendulum watches.
Ludwig Strasser and Gustav Rohde
Today, with its limited issue of 25 pieces of the Strasser & Rohde Regulator special model, Glashütte Original is paying tribute to its prestigious heritage, honouring two great figures of the art of watchmaking in Glashütte, Ludwig Strasser and Gustav Rohde by bringing the “regulator” architecture to the dimensions of a wristwatch.
The pure, minimalistic design of a vintage Strasser and Rohde dial served as an inspiration for this regulator, which Glashütte Original is presenting to the public for the first time at MUNICH TIME 2009. The blued minute hand in the centre dominates the clear dial. The hour hand and the second hand are located decentrally in smaller sub-dial areas, on the upper and lower halves respectively. A milled and black-coloured minute ring on the outer rim indicates the passage of the minutes, while Roman numerals, also milled, mark the passage of the hour hand. The fascinating surface structure of the grained silver-plated dial forms the perfect contrast to the deep black details.
This elegant timepiece is framed by a polished case in warmly shimmering rose gold, with a size of 42 mm and a height of only 12.8 mm. The precision of a watch finds its expression in the quality and sophistication of the movement used. The Strasser & Rohde Regulator is thus powered by the hand-wound calibre 49-04, designed and produced entirely in the Glashütte Original manufactory and renown for its qualities and its highly refined finish.
The Strasser & Rohde Regulator is the optimum timepiece for watch lovers whose hearts beat that little bit faster when confronted with classic design.
Background information on Strasser & Rohde:
Ludwig Strasser and Gustav Rohde established their business partnership in Glashütte in 1875. Ludwig Strasser served his watchmaker’s apprenticeship with Sebastian Geist in Würzburg and was already, by way of Moritz Grossmann, resident in Glashütte in 1871.
After a brief period in Leipzig with the tower clock manufacturers Zachariä, he returned one year later to Glashütte. In 1875, Ludwig Strasser and Gustav Rohde jointly founded the company "Strasser & Rohde" in Glashütte. Strasser & Rohde produced precision pendulum clocks in the most varied designs, including inverse construction (anchor from below on the escape wheel). Their product range also included marine chronometers, precision tools, speedometers, safety clocks for safes, pocket watches, chronoscopes and various timers.
On 1st May 1885, Ludwig Strasser became the director of the German Watchmaking School in Glashütte, where he had already been teaching theory for a number of years. The last Strasser & Rohde pendulum clock was delivered to an observatory in Greece on 19th June 1959. It was a field clock with a 24-hour dial of the B I type, with lateral weighted guidance, electrical contacts and Riefler-J pendulum.
Glashütte Original pays tribute to this ingenious watchmaking heritage with its limited-edition Strasser & Rohde Regulator.